With the recent change of YouTube’s policy of requiring creators to reach 10,000 views before earning advertising revenue, we see the sun setting on the Golden Age of YouTube. Now more than ever, there is a push for creatives to develop their own video platform and sell their own advertising.
Whether you’re a YouTube creator or aspiring film director, this list of the 15 best HTML5 video players will help you get started in developing a video-centric website. What features do you need most?
- A simple player?
- Robust playlist options?
- Advertisements before, during, or after the video?
- What about mixing self-hosted videos and those from YouTube and Vimeo?
You’ll be sure to find what you’re looking for in this roundup of the best HTML5 video players on Envato Market:
1. Elite Video Player
Elite Video Player is a stellar HTML5 video player that can handle just about anything you throw its way:
- self-hosted mp4
- Amazon s3
- and Google Drive
Show your videos with style—across all browsers and devices—with this fully customizable HTML5 video player.
Features also include:
- lightbox, responsive, and fullscreen modes
- YouTube channel and playlist support
- select player and scrollbar effects
- resizable height and width
- and many more options
One of the more unique and appealing features the Elite Video Player brings to the screen is the ability to add pre-roll, mid-roll, and post-roll video and popup ads. A WordPress version is also available.
2. Ultimate Video Player with YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5, Ads
Add your own video or popup advertising before, during, or following your videos using the Ultimate Video Player with YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5, Ads.
Display videos from YouTube, Vimeo, and self-hosted mp4’s (via Amazon S3, Google Drive, etc.).
- fully responsive and supported by all browsers
- supports multiple instances on the same page
- tooltips for time and volume
- Font Awesome icons
- rewind function
- and much, much more
The Ultimate Video Player with YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5, Ads (also available for WordPress) also gives you the option to share videos via social media and an embed code, giving visitors the ability to embed your player on their website.
3. HTML5 Responsive Video Player & Advertising
You can’t talk about HTML5 video players without mentioning HTML5 Responsive Video Player & Advertising.
You can integrate a video advertisement before the featured video begins or set up a popup ad during playback. And those are only two of the many options included.
- auto-hide, auto-play, and auto-replay options
- fully responsive and customizable via CSS
- tooltip control info and rewind
- optional social media sharer
- and much more
HTML5 Responsive Video Player & Advertising includes all the features you come to find in the more robust HTML5 video players—while giving you the added option of displaying your logo in the corner of the video screen.
4. Ultra Video Gallery with YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5, Ads
The Ultra Video Gallery with YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5, Ads is a well supported and maintained HTML5 video player.
It comes with all the features and options you want in a video player—and then some.
Features included, but not limited to:
- custom player design for YouTube and Vimeo hosted videos
- pre-roll ads for YouTube, Vimeo and self-hosted videos
- touch and keyboard/mouse support
- easy setup and fully customizable
- includes 8 pre-designed themes
- and much, much more
Ultra Video Gallery with YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5, Ads can be used as a stand-alone player, or a gallery can be added to the right or bottom of the featured video.
5. Ultimate Video Player
This HTML5 video player includes all the basics you’ll need for a cutting edge player—without losing those users that are using outdated browsers.
The Ultimate Video Player can play videos on the latest mobile browser or an old desktop computer using IE8 with its Flash fallback feature.
“Packed with a huge amount of features like responsive layout, multiple playlists, external API, optional deeplinking, flexible skin, embed & share, Facebook share etc…”
Set up playlists, provide a video download button, and much, much more with the Ultimate Video Player (also comes in WordPress).
6. HTML5 Video Gallery with Live Playlist
Build a robust video showcase with the HTML5 Video Gallery with Live Playlist. Set up your Live Playlist with HTML markup, XML playlist, or it can read the folder of self-hosted videos.
You can also mix YouTube and self-hosted mp4 videos.
Additional features include:
- deeplinking with jQuery address
- YouTube API v3 support
- video aspect ratio
- live preview
Public API made available: Play/pause, next/previous, seek, and more!
Bring many of your favorite YouTube player features to your own website with HTML5 Video Gallery with Live Playlist.
7. Responsive HTML5 Video Player & Gallery
The Responsive HTML5 Video Player & Gallery is easy to set up, retina ready, and includes multiple skins for a great looking HTML5 video player.
“You can use player without gallery with only one video, or you can build your own gallery with thumbnails, titles and descriptions.”
You can also add your own logo in the bottom left, bottom right, or top left corners.
Other features include:
- optional share menu and embed code
- click and drag gallery support
- full player controls
- and more
The Responsive HTML5 Video Player & Gallery is a great way to set up and display your videos in a streamlined gallery format.
8. Responsive Video Gallery HTML5 YouTube Vimeo
Easily mix your Vimeo, YouTube, and self-hosted mp4 videos into one playlist with Responsive Video Gallery HTML5 YouTube Vimeo.
You’ll find all sorts of useful features:
- optional deeplinking with jQuery address
- HTML, XML, and folder-based playlists
- supports YouTube and Vimeo API v3
- optional ads before or after playback
- robust playback options
- and much more
Responsive Video Gallery HTML5 YouTube Vimeo includes a solid API and just about everything you’ll ever need in an HTML5 video player.
9. Universal Video Player – YouTube/Vimeo/Self-Hosted
Universal Video Player – YouTube/Vimeo/Self-Hosted is another HTML5 video player that’s worth your attention.
Not only does it come with many features included in other video players, but it also includes a few extras that set it apart.
Stand out features include:
- Google Analytics tracking
- playlist search
Like some other HTML5 video players, it includes YouTube, Vimeo, and self-hosted video support, customizable color scheme, and an option to download videos.
The Universal Video Player – YouTube/Vimeo/Self-Hosted is a nice solution, and can even automatically retrieve video thumbnails, titles, and descriptions from YouTube servers (WordPress version is available).
10. HTML5 Video Player with Playlist & Multiple Skins
The HTML5 Video Player with Playlist & Multiple Skins (also available for WordPress) offers side and bottom playlists and six different skins to match your website.
Unlike many other HTML5 video players, this gem also supports webm video files in addition to the standard mp4 video format.
You’ll also find:
- optional video descriptions with HTML and CSS support
- supports both single and multiple instances
- autohide for playback controls
- click listener
- and more
HTML5 Video Player with Playlist & Multiple Skins is a good HTML5 video player for playlists, complete with definable preview images for both videos and playlists.
11. Total Video Player
You would be hard pressed to find an HTML5 video player offering this much value.
The Total Video Player has plenty of options and even includes subtitle and captioning support for self-hosted videos (srt/vtt).
Additional features include:
- mix YouTube and self-hosted mp4 videos
- Flash fallback for older browsers
- optional playback controls
- optional video information
- public API and callbacks
- and more
The Total Video Player is a total video player.
12. HTML5 Video Player & FullScreen Video Background
The HTML5 Video Player & FullScreen Video Background not only makes a great HTML5 video player, but it also includes the ability to set full-screen video backgrounds.
Do you need a video player in your web dev toolbelt?
This is what you’re looking for.
This has many helpful features, including:
- fallback image for mobile devices that do not support FullScreen video backgrounds
- 30+ Js options: player controls, playback, design, etc.
- supports YouTube, Vimeo, and self-hosted videos
- navigation positioning
- texture over video
- and more!
HTML5 Video Player & FullScreen Video Background is a welcomed addition to any web developer’s toolbox—it also comes in WordPress!
13. ProgressionPlayer – Responsive Audio/Video Player
If you’re looking for a simple, straightforward HTML5 video player, you’ll find it with the ProgressionPlayer – Responsive Audio/Video Player.
It even supports audio files, making it a versatile solution that can be used for other applications.
From the product page:
“Show off your work with this easy-to-customize and fully featured Audio/Video Player. When purchasing this player, you will receive a detailed help file along with additional features like 5 custom skins and Responsive Layout.”
Easy to customize, full-screen video support, video and audio playlists, and more.
The ProgressionPlayer – Responsive Audio/Video Player cuts away the bloat and offers a solid audio and HTML5 video player.
14. Chameleon – HTML5 Video Player with Flash Backup
Keep is simple with the Chameleon – HTML5 Video Player with Flash Backup.
With its clean design and simple options, this HTML5 video player provides the basics in video playback:
- light or dark skins and retina friendly
- 100% responsive—fits anywhere
- hold-and-drag to scrub videos
- Flash video fallback
- and more
The Chameleon – HTML5 Video Player with Flash Backup is also available for WordPress.
15. Mega Video Players BUNDLE
The Mega Video Players BUNDLE isn’t a single, robust, one-size-fits-all HTML5 video player.
It’s six of them.
This download will land you three different responsive video players, each with their own WordPress counterpart, giving you a total of six players.
This bundle includes:
- Easy Video Player / Easy Video Player WordPress Plugin
- Royal Video Player / Royal Audio Player WordPress Plugin
- Ultimate Video Player / Ultimate Video Player WordPress Plugin
You’ll find many different features in each of these players: external APIs, deeplinking, embed and share, multiple playlists, and much, much more.
While the Mega Video Players BUNDLE is the most expensive option, it also presents the most cost effective.
There is a wide spectrum of HTML5 video players. The key to finding the right solution is finding a video player that meets any and all your needs. The last thing you want to do is use a bloated solution, or perhaps even worse, not be able to execute what you’re trying to accomplish.
If you’re feeling adventurous, perhaps some of the Envato Tuts+ HTML5 Code Tutorials, Web Development Courses, or Code eBooks can get you started on developing your own HTML5 video player. Otherwise, consider the previously mentioned 15 HTML video players or stay on the lookout for something new on CodeCanyon.
And as always, you’ll find all kinds of helpful web development plugins, scripts, and more on Envato Market.